For the second year in a row, Natural Gourmet participated in the New York Vegetarian Food Festival, held March 3 and 4 at the Metropolitan Pavilion on 18th Street in Manhattan.
Working from our own demonstration stage, Natural Gourmet instructors (and grads) Barb Rich, Olivia Roszkowski, Rich LaMarita, Barb Rich, Jay Weinstein Jill Gusman, Fran Costigan, and Elliott Prag provided two days of non-stop demonstrations and food tastings featuring fresh food featuring seasonal ingredients.
All demonstrations were packed with satisfied festival attendees, many of whom stayed glued to their seats for each demonstration. The demos were so popular, in fact, that we didn’t have enough recipe handouts for everyone in the room. As a result, this week and next we will publish a recipe a day from the festival for those that didn’t get a recipe handout and those unable to attend.
Forgive us, in our busy haste at the festival, we didn’t get any pictures of the food. If any attendees have pictures to share, we’d be most grateful.
Today, we feature the recipe prepared by our graduate, Olivia Roszkowski.
KALE WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES & PINE NUTS IN A GARLIC-INFUSED OIL
Yield: approximately 1 1/4 cup
1 head of garlic, peeled
1/2 cup olive oil
6 cups of water
1/3 cup salt
1 bunch of kale, stems removed
1 ounce of sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup pine nuts
1. Place the peeled garlic in a small saucepan, and pour the olive oil over the cloves, making sure they are completely submerged. Allow the garlic to simmer at a low heat for approximately thirty minutes, or until the cloves are tender. Remove from heat.
2. Bring six cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Fill a bowl with ice water and set aside. When the water comes to a boil, add the salt and blanche the kale for four minutes or until tender. Transfer to ice water, then drain and squeeze the water from the leaves. Chop into bite size pieces.
3. Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for approximately five minutes, or until completely rehydrated. Drain and thinly julienne.
4. Using a sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of the garlic-infused oil over medium heat, and add the sun-dried tomatoes. Cook until softened, for approximately two minutes. Add the pine nuts and keep stirring for thirty seconds.
5. Add the blanched kale to the pan and continue stirring until heated through for approximately one minute. Gently mix in the reserved garlic cloves. Remove from heat and serve immediately.