Here’s our second installment of Cooking with the Season.
Yes, it’s mid-winter (though it’s 50 degrees in NYC), but a delicious, balanced meal can still feature a fresh salad.
Here we combine available winter produce create a fresh, light, and colorful salad with a Mediterranean flair.
Arugula, radicchio and shaved fennel salad with radishes and roasted walnuts in fig dressing
½ cup walnuts
6 ounces arugula (2 bunches), washed and stemmed
½ head radicchio, thinly sliced
8 dried figs, thinly sliced
1 head fennel, thinly sliced (reserve fennel fronds for garnish
2 radishes, thinly sliced
Fig vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Heat oven to 350°. Place walnuts on sheet tray and toast until fragrant, about 7-8 minutes. Set nuts aside to cool. Roughly chop walnuts and set aside for garnish
- Combine arugula, radicchio, and fennel in bowl. Dress lightly with fig dressing (below), reserving extra dressing to drizzle on finished salad.
- Arrange greens on plate. Garnish with figs, fennel fronds, radishes, and walnuts.
- Drizzle remaining dressing as desired over individual portions.
¼ cup dried figs (approximately 4)
½ cup water
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup apple juice
1 teaspoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt
Ground pepper to taste
- Combine figs and water in small sauce pot. Bring water to boil. Turn off heat and let figs soak for 10 minutes.
- Transfer figs and water to blender. Add mustard, oil, wine, apple juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Puree dressing until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and/or pepper if desired.